Clatsop County

Astoria Oregon Chinese Pavillion

Astoria Chinatown. Clatsop County.
Astoria Chinatown was located in the swampy area at the corner of Concomly and Washington Street (today’s 6th and Astor) by 1877. Its center was at Chenamus and Main (today’s 9th and Bond). It consisted of a several businesses, a boarding house, mess hall, laundry, and cabins. The Chinese worked outside the Chinatown in the fisheries, shoe manufacturing, and as laborers. The area was renovated with the Chinese being displaced by 1879 with some relocating to Upper Astoria. Astoria Chinatown is within the boundaries of Astoria Downtown Historic District. Representative businesses of Astoria Chinatown were: Hop Hing Lung Company opened in 1889. Lum Quing Grocery Company opened in 1908. Reference: National Register of Historic Places Listings in Clatsop County, Oregon 2009; Penner 1990: 26, 27, 29, 52, 63.

Astoria Chinese Burial Site. Clatsop County.
The site was on a hill near present-day 16th Street in the City of Astoria. There were at least five grave sites at the location by October 1876 when a Ching Ming celebration was conducted. Reference: Penner 1990: 25.

Astoria Chinese Gardens. Clatsop County.
Astoria Chinese Gardens was located in the area of today’s Harrison Drive loop in the City of Astoria. The gardeners provided fresh vegetables to Astoria Chinatown and the general population. A housing tract replaced the gardens after World War II. Reference: Penner 2011. 

Chinese Bunk House, Elmore Cannery. Clatsop County.
Chinese Bunk House at Elmore Cannery in Astoria was built in 1915 to house Chinese who worked at the cannery. They were the majority of workers. The building became the cannery office and was destroyed by fire in 1984. The cannery is one of the most well documented of the Columbia River canneries. Reference: “Astoria Warehousing Inc. Area.”

Garden of Surging Waves. Clatsop County.
The Garden of Surging Waves commemorates the Chinese heritage of Astoria. It is located in the northwest corner of Heritage Square between Duane, Exchange, 11th and 12th Streets, adjacent to City Hall. The open space with artwork and walking paths is within Heritage Park at 9th Street and Astor Street. The opening ceremony took place on May 17, 2014. Reference: http://astoriachineseheritage.org/ Accessed June 27, 2014. Photo.

Kinney Cannery. Clatsop County.
Kinney Cannery was at No. 1 Sixth Street. The cannery began operation in 1876 and had a workforce that was almost exclusively Chinese. The site was placed on the National Registry of Historic Places in 1989. Image Reference: Lockley 1928, vol. 2: 98; “No. 1 Sixth Street.”

Upper Astoria Chinatown. Clatsop County.
By 1880, the Upper Astoria Chinatown was clearly identifiable with a Chinese population of 924. Reference: Penner 1990: 63.

West Astoria Chinese Gardens. Clatsop County.
West Astoria Chinese Gardens were located near Smith Point, close to today’s W. Marine Drive in the City of Astoria during the late 1800's. Like Astoria Chinese Gardens, the growers provided fresh vegetable to the surrounding community. Reference: Penner 2011.

References

“Astoria Warehousing Inc. Area.” Astoria’s History Along the Tracks. http://homepage.mac.com/ Accessed February 28, 2011.

Lockley, Fred. 1928, History of the Columbia River Valley, From the Dalles to the Sea. Vol. 2. Chicago, Illinois: S.J. Clarke Publishing Company.

National Register of Historic Places Listings in Clatsop County, Oregon. 2009. http://en.wikipedia.org/ Accessed November 30, 2010.

“No. 1 Sixth Street.” Astoria’s History Along the Tracks. http://homepage.mac.com/ Accessed February 28, 2011.

Ooligan Press and Chinese Consolidated Benevolent Association. 2007. Dreams of the West. Portland, Oregon: Ooligan Press, Portland State University.

Penner, Liisa. 1990. The Chinese in Astoria, Oregon, 1870-1880. Astoria, Oregon.

Penner, Liisa. 2011. Email communication.